The Racing Officials Accreditation Program is excited to host the 2016 ROAP Conference on Officiating Horse Racing in conjunction with the University of Arizona Race Track Industry Program's Global Symposium on Racing and Gaming. The eight hour conference will be held on Monday, December 5 at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort in Tucson, Arizona and will be eligible for eight (8) hours of ROAP Continuing Education credits. The conference will feature two half-day panels and a luncheon with the keynote speaker. Cost of the conference is $75.00 to attend. Agenda and registration details below. Discounts may be available for the RTIP Symposium as well.
The morning panel (8:30 AM to 11:30 AM), “Resources for Stewards, Judges & Racing Officials,” will include presentations by
- International Sound on steward and judges stand video monitors and camera control panels to evaluate the race and observe pre- and post-race activities;
- The Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau on monitoring wagering integrity with Curtis Linnell, VP of Wagering Analysis;
- The Racing Medication & Testing Consortium on regulation & research on permitted medication & prohibited substances with Alex Waldrop, RMTC chairman & NTRA president;
- InCompass Solutions on Race Track Operations system programs & reports;
- The Association of Racing Commissioners International on licensing system and historical rulings database; and
- Equibase on race charts and racing programs.
Lunch Break (11:30 AM - 1:00 PM)
The afternoon panel (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM), “The Role of Stewards, Judges and Racing Officials,” will be moderated by Ray Paulick. The panel will include racing industry stakeholders representing
- Tracks – Scott Wells, president of Remington Park and Lone Star Park;
- Veterinarians – Dr. Mary Scollay, Kentucky Horse Racing Commission equine medical director;
- Handicappers – Judy Wagner, 2001 winner of DRF/NTRA National Handicapping Championships & current chair of ARCI & the Louisiana Racing Commission;
- Janet Van Bebber, AQHA Chief Racing Officer & former leading American Quarter Horse trainer;
- Racing Commissions;
- Owners & breeders of Thoroughbreds & Standardbreds; and
- Leading Trainers
There will be an additional panel of three stewards and judges who have experience with all three breeds: Quarter Horses, Standardbreds, and Thoroughbreds. This panel will comment, answer questions, and make recommendations.
The cost of the conference is $75 (PayPal link for payment below). This conference will qualify for eight hours of ROAP continuing education credit for accredited stewards and judges. Those attending the University of Arizona RTIP Racing Symposium will receive a $50 discount. Stewards and judges attending the University of Arizona Racing Symposium will receive an additional eight hours of ROAP continuing education credit. Please sure the register link below for the ROAP conference. Those interested in taking advantage of the RTIP symposium discount, please contact Betty at RTIP (520-621-5660). Also, contact Betty at RTIP for hotel information.
Check and/or money order is also accepted payable to ROAP and mailed to ROAP, 821 Corporate Drive, Lexington, KY 40503