Come work for a Top 100 Workplace! Experience the fun of working in the entertainment industry at Canterbury Park - home to live horse racing every summer and year round action in our Card Casino, Racebook and Expo Center.
Canterbury Park offers competitive pay and benefits for FT & PT employees; including PT PTO and holiday premium pay. Employees also receive free live racing admission, perks of special events and a variety of local & Canterbury Park discounts.
Oversees and assists in the interaction with company leadership, owners, trainers and other stakeholders to ensure the operating excellence of the dirt surface and training track. Able to manage and supervise the maintenance related to the dirt surface in the absence of the Track Superintendent.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Includes, but is not limited, to the following:
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all track crew on a daily basis and horsemen and jockeys in both training and racing environments on an as-needed basis.
- Assists in the maintenance and preparation necessary to ensure that all dirt racing surfaces are safe and fair for horse racing activities. This includes procuring proper materials for the track surface and supervising or assisting in the proper application of those materials.
- Assists the Track Superintendent during the grading of the main track and training track on a regular basis to ensure optimum performance.
- Assists in monitoring department expenditures.
- Primarily responsible for the hiring, training and developing of team members to build cross functional knowledge of operational processes, equipment, industry standards and emerging technologies.
- Works with the Track Superintendent to complete yearly performance evaluations of the track employees in accordance with company policy and procedure.
- Works collaboratively with internal team leaders to promote the Fun and Games program.
- Actively participating in track accreditation processes designed to uphold standards and practices that support the comprehensive safety and integrity of horseracing.
- Conferring with the Track Superintendent and the Sr. Director of Racing, helps define and determine next steps related to the approval and implementation of capital projects, budgets, and other priorities.
- Responsible for oversight of all equipment (tractors, loaders, graders, etc.) necessary to prepare both dirt surface for racing and training.
This position is responsible for assisting in the supervision of track employees in the positions listed below:
- Track Supervisor, Track Lead, Equipment Operators and Track Crew
- High school diploma or GED
- At least 3 years of experience as a member of a track crew.
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to operate or learn the operation of the following equipment: tractors, loaders, skid steers, road grader, water trucks, and misc. 3 pt hitch attachments.
- Must be able to pass Canterbury Park’s pre-employment screening which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, Drug Screening, and Canterbury Park’s Safe Driving Policy.
- Must be able to attain a Minnesota Racing Commission (MRC) license.
- Commercial driver’ license
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential functions of this job, this position requires working nights, weekends & holidays.
- Use of ladders up to 12 feet.
- Able to lift and work with 25 lb loads for 4 hours.
- Able to climb 5 flights of stairs.
To apply, follow this link: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CAN1000CBP/JobBoard/d8e1ee02-125b-5121-dc3c-f8458892de24/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=504c4c4c-9bc5-4533-9fbe-19be55ccdc6b