The Head Starter is responsible for the integrity of the start of each race, making sure there is a fair start for all horses. In addition, the Head Starter supervises the Assistant Starters and implements proper safety protocols.
* Oversees gate operations at multiple tracks during both training hours and live racing.
* Ensures horses are safely and efficiently loaded into the starting gate
* Starts each race once all entrants are safely loaded and standing attentively.
* Supervise gate schooling during the morning training hours and issue gate cards.
* Create a safe work environment by recommending and implementing safety measures.
* Evaluate standard protocols and make recommendations on how particular horses should load.
* Ensure accurate entry of notes into InCompass where pertinent details about horse’s gate behavior is stored.
* Review InCompass in advance to stay up to date on entrants who may exhibit difficult loading behavior or require special handling.
* Interact with racetrack personnel including but not limited to: Veterinarians, Trainers, Jockeys, Exercise Riders and track management.
* Supervise the Assistant Starters.
· Education: High School degree or the equivalent
· Experience: At least 7 years working in starting gate operations and experience covering for the Head Starter. Advanced horsemanship skills. Strong communication skills. Some experience supervising staff.
NYRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply email resume to email@example.com