The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) seeks a full time Examining Veterinarian.
- Observes horses running on the racetrack in the afternoon. Attends injured horses if necessary;
- In the event of injury, immediately makes an assessment and stabilizes the horse if possible;
- Helps load the horse in ambulance. Attends injured horse in the equine ambulance while transported back to barn;
- Along with the other NYRA veterinarians, completes an examination of each horse scheduled to run in the day’s races. Recommends scratching a horse if unsound, injured, or ill;
- Helps to maintain department files documenting examination history of horses running at NYRA;
- Stays informed and up to date regarding safety and welfare issues affecting horses in the industry, veterinary practices, etc.
- DVM, VMD, or equivalent degree.
- At least 2 years of experience in Equine Practice.
- Administrative skills; Good interpersonal skills; Highly ethical, honest and professional; Able to be firm on decisions.
- Ability to become licensed by the New York Gaming Commission and to obtain a New York Veterinary license.
- Must be able to work a racing schedule and relocate to Saratoga Springs for 7 weeks in the summer (travel stipend provided).
Accepting Application Dates:
September 29, 2019 to December 29, 2019